[rescue] pursuing a VAX

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Dec 9 15:08:17 CST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > I've also heard, I've got a dual 1 gig P3, which is just as fast as
> > your 2gig P4, in which case, they might be right for many applications.
> > P4s suck.  The P4 Xeons don't even seem all that fast.
>
>    "Increase the clock rate at any cost".

There was a flame war on misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.mumble about
this very subject not too long ago.  The overwhelming consensus was that
any overall incremental increase in performance (when the chip is
clocked sufficiently high) is worth any inefficiencies in design.  That
is: it's perfectly fine that a P4 2GHz isn't twice as fast as a P3 1GHz,
so long as it's faster at all.  In fact, it's perfectly okay if a P4
2GHz is barely 20% faster than a P3 1GHz because "you can't get a 2GHz
P3".

What a sick, sick mentality.  Sicker still is that these are the people
driving the economy.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.