[rescue] pursuing a VAX

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 9 14:22:22 CST 2002

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 10:23 AM, James wrote:
> I have found a VAX 6000/610 in a state of decommissioning at a
> datacenter my company uses.  I believe it belongs to a large medical
> group. To rescue this single cabinet unit I would have to dig deep to
> find a responsible party. Before I do this I was wondering if anyone
> could give me a rough description of this flavor of VAX and where it
> fits on the VAX desirability scale. If I pass on it, it is located in
> Medford, Massachusetts and I might be able to provide leads as to its
> owners.

   Quite desirable, I'd say.

   It can take up to six processors, but it currently has one (the "1"
in the model number indicates this).  32 VUPS/proc.  Peripherals are
usually XMI-bus, but it could have a BI-bus cage as well.  They can be
converted to ordinary 220V split phase power relatively easily, but are
usually (always?) set up for three-phase power.  They don't actually
pull all that much power at all, believe it or not...quite practical to
run at home, despite assumptions to the contrary when considering their
physical size.  A 6-proc VAX6000-6x0 is a force to be reckoned with
CPU-wise.

   Good info can be found at http://www.stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au/vax/.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                "Why would a brothel need
St. Petersburg, FL            a streaming media server?"        -Kevin