[rescue] Linux on SS1000 (was SS1000)

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at peecee.linuxweasel.com
Sun Dec 8 13:08:55 CST 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:48:27PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Klaasjan Brand wrote:
>
> > Given the amount of "why install linux when you can have a decent os on
> > your sparc" kind of replies floating around here I'm not surprised...
>
> I'm not of that ilk, (really), but close. To me a SUN machine is something
> special. Running SunOS on it is a good thing, running anything else just
> makes it an expensive (and often annoying) PC.

That is so wrong!  :-)  I mean, seriously, I've got something like a
dozen Sun machines here, and only one of them runs Solaris well.  The
rest of them run Open or NetBSD, or S/Linux.  Solaris sucks ass on
anything less than an Ultra 1 (where an MP SS20 is more than an Ultra
1, of course).

I have most of these Sun machines because they're extremely kick-ass
hardware, and I can rely on them not to just up and die like PeeCees
have a habit of.  If they ran Solaris, they might be equally stable,
but they wouldn't get any useful work done, and they'd take me twice
as long to get even close to getting things done, while I turned off
all the extra stuff from Solaris.
    Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
Please don't copy me on replies to the list.