[rescue] Linux on SS1000 (was SS1000)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey.Mendelson at mobileye.com
Sun Dec 8 04:48:27 CST 2002

Klaasjan Brand wrote:

> Given the amount of "why install linux when you can have a decent os on
> your sparc" kind of replies floating around here I'm not surprised...

I'm not of that ilk, (really), but close. To me a SUN machine is something
special. Running SunOS on it is a good thing, running anything else just
makes it an expensive (and often annoying) PC.

I will admit I worked hard to get linux to run on a powermac I just bought,
but that's because I'm using to replace a linux box and a MAC. If I had
a Ultra class Sun (even a U1), I would have forgone the linux box, as
what I really need is telnet, ssh, and Xwindows and would have prefered
Solaris to PPC linux.

I don't use it for web browsing because in my book, Microsoft won the
browser wars, as long as I get I.E. for it's current price, it's
good enough for me. The other thing that machine does is plays DVD's
using a decoder card and a 4 channel sound card, something not availble
AFIK for Sun's.

> Could be sparc users more often have a "fat pipe" in the vicinity, so
> why buy the boxed set...

Even with a 64k frame relay line I was able to download it in less time
than the post office would deliver it (to Israel).

With my 150kbps aDSL line at work I can get it over a weekend and
with my 80k cable line in 24 hours (I don't share it much, only with a
teenager using a certain russian hacked dutch application) :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
MobilEye Vision Technologies Ltd, R.M.P.E House, 10 Hartom St. Har Hotzvim