[rescue] SS1000

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Sat Dec 7 04:26:15 CST 2002

"Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" wrote:

> They use up to 8 CPUs I believe.  There is a 64-bit XDBus which
> connects up to four CPU boards, each of which can hold 2 CPUs.  You
> max out the RAM by filling up all the RAM slots on four CPU boards.
>
> You can use up to 8 SM81s in it.
>
> I assume that there is circuitry to determine which memory is local
> and which must be accessed by the XDBus.

Nope, ALL memory access is thru the XDBus, even to memory on the local
card.

> OS support is at least to Solaris 8, maybe 9, not sure.

8 was the last for the 1000, and SC2000 as well.

> I don't know if there is any other OS support like Linux or BSD, due
> to the XDBus not being supported by any free OS.
>

> As neat as they are I would recommend you buy something else.  The
> fans are LOUD and it uses a lot of power.  And if you want faster SCSI
> or 100BaseT ethernet you will have to buy the SBUS cards for it.

The fans are loud, and they throw out lots of heat too, as a matter of
fact my SS1000 is probably more than half the heating in my small house.

> You would probably be happier with an SBus or PCI based UltraSparc
> with 2 CPUs.
>
> They weigh a lot, too.

Yes, but ALL REAL computers weigh more than 100 lb.!

--
-Mike