[rescue] Q: OpenVMS NFS performance questions

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Fri Dec 6 18:26:19 CST 2002

 Hi y'all.

 I just set up an alphastation 255 running the hobbyist version of OpenVMS
 (7.2), I wanted to set up the machine as an NFS server... but somehow I am
 getting terrible performance, specially on writes. The machine is using a
 DE500 for 100Mb connection to the rest of the network, but performance is
 just not acceptable. For example writing a 128MB file set, it took almost
 1hr!!!! WTF? This is like .3Mbps performance on a 100Mbps link!!! Not even
 DSL speeds....

 I did a sysgen, so I assumed that it tuned all the parameters, and I
 uderstand that there has to be a NFS => openVMS file system conversion (I
 am using a container for the NFS share), but this is a 233Mhz alpha
 performing like a piece of turd. So far I am less than impressed with
 OVMS, does anyone use their VMS machines to serve files over NFS to teh
 rest of their networks? If so what are the tricks (I followed DEC's online
 ref instructions) and performance issues.

 Cheers.