[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu Dec 5 19:31:44 CST 2002

james at foonly.com writes:

>I never got to play with any Thinking Machines gear, but always wanted to.
>Maybe one will fall in my lap in a few years.

Not gonna happen.

At least with the CM-5s, they were sent back as they were decomissioned,
then stripped. I saw the warehouse where the remains were kept, and
there were about thirty chassis, and not a single CPU board in the place.

There's speculation that there should be some CM-2As kicking around,
because they were small enough for normal people to rescue. I've never
heard a figure for how many were produced though.

As far as I know, there is one CM-2 still in use, and there *might*
be one or two CM-5s running.

I believe the Computer History Center has a complete CM-5? Anyone
know?

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----------- When Heaven is full, the dead shall walk the earth. -----------