[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Dec 4 21:20:09 CST 2002

"Al Potter" <apotter at spankingnuns.com> wrote

> James:
>
> I mean this with the utmost respect, absolutely NO sarcasm, as a serious
> question:
>
> For all intents and purposes, is there any computer architecture (in the
> western world) that you DON'T have some experience with?
>
> Inquiring minds.....

I can't speak for James, but if you started in this biz before 1980, your
chances of working on a wide spectrum of hardware/OSes is vastly increased.
Many of the companies and architectures of the 70s and 80s are gone, and
we'll be losing more as time goes on.

I expect James's experience is vastly broader than mine, but in the <mumble>
years I've been doing this, people have paid me to work in 27 languages
under 11 OSes.  That doesn't count stuff I wasn't paid to fool with, but
have used for fun or just because it was there.  Not that I know much about
the hardware, though, since most of the time it's someone else's.  In a
couple of cases, I never actually _saw_ the hardware.  In one case, I don't
even know exactly where it was.

Yet, compared to some on the list, I'm but a youth, experience-wise.

-Shel