[rescue] Linux

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Dec 3 02:40:59 CST 2002

On 2002.12.02 18:08 Thomas Gallaway wrote:

> My 500AU came with the NT firmware.... havent had time to flash it
> to Unix...
The 500a is the "NT only" variant. The au can be switched from ARC (NT
firmware) to SRM (firmware for everything else) back and forth. When my
500au arrived ARC was active. I found an option somwhere deep in the
menues to switch it to SRM. The flash is big enough to carry ARC and
SRM. In fact, even the "NT and ARC only" 500a can be switched to SRM. It
seams that there is in some verions of ARC no menue to switch, but I
heared that pressing ^C in the right moment and setting the SRM OS-type
variable to unix does the trick.

I am running Tru64 on my 500au. A very nice BSDish Unix. I tried NetBSD
bevore I installed Tru64 and it ran very well. There was report of a
NetBSD user on the NetBSD port-alpha list about how to get Xfree86 4.2.1
running with a Matorx G400 on the PWS... (These machines come often with
Intergraph 3D cards that are only supported by Tru64.)
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen