[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Dec 2 13:17:17 CST 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 02:09:12PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 02:04 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >>  Bringing it up isn't going to be an instant thing...I just got info
> >>about its disk arrays; they pull more power than my house, so I won't
> >>be able to start the project here, gotta arrange for actual company
> >>space for that.  Also...there aren't two machines, there's one.  Sad,
> >>but I'm not really complaining I suppose...one will solve the problem
> >>for work.
> >
> >Is there no way to use smaller arrays?  It seems there should be a few
> >options here, but perhaps not.
>
>   Not really, as I understand it.
>
>   Let's put it this way...the disk CONTROLLER has 1GB of RAM and is the
> size of a refrigerator.  Make no mistake...this is a mainframe, through
> and through.

Gig of ram, I'm not surprised at.  Size of a fridge seems a bit odd.
Obviously, a disk controller for this isn't going to be the size of a
PCI card or anything, but a lunch box or moderate sized Sun (say U80)
sized controller seems more reasonable for a 1999 vintage machine.  How
in the world do they reasonably fill a fridge?

--
Joshua D. Boyd