[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Dec 2 13:01:50 CST 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 12:50:26PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

> I may take you up on an LPAR, if somebody would kindly tell this
> wet-behind-the-ears newb what one is... :/ I get a vague inkling from the
> context, but... start with the acronym?

LPAR = Logical PARtition.

In theory, you can devide a machine up into LPARs, and from the software
point of view, each LPAR is a completely seperate machine.

This I believe is somewhat analougous to running multiple copies of
VMWare, except presumably it is done more at a hardware level and it is
better about sharing unused resources.  At least, that is how I
understand it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd