[rescue] Sun 3/280? and Sun rack for $99 (eBay)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 2 00:19:44 CST 2002

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 12:17 AM, Kevin Loch wrote:
>>   Looks like a 4/280, assuming it hasn't had its CPU board switched
>> (3/200 and 4/200 CPUs use the same memory).  I don't see any evidence
>> of a DC power supply, and I'm pretty sure that chassis was never made
>> with one.  Further, the model number of the power controller (Paluzzi
>> 874C, coincidentally "874" is the model number of a DEC power
>> controller of similar capabilities) is that of an AC-powered unit.
>
> It's probably one of those DEC power strips that have DC remote control

   Sun didn't use DEC power controllers...The ones Sun put in the x/x80-
and x/x90-series chassis were made by Paluzzi, and the model number is
"874<something>".  They're very similar to DEC's 874-D (and other)
power controllers in features and functionality, and they also use the
same connector & pinout for the remote control bus.

            -Dave