[rescue] cgsix question

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 1 14:42:09 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin" <kevin at pipeline.com>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: [rescue] cgsix question

> I was under the impression that no matter how much VRAM
> you slapped in there it would still only run at 8bit,
> just with a higher resolutions available.

I don't have first-hand experience (so maybe I shouldn't be
commenting) but I have read the framebuffer FAQ; to wit:

cgfourteen
Also known as the SX and spam, this is a very different kind of frame
buffer. Built in to the motherboard on the SS20, it is also available as an
add-on card for SS10 and SS20 (only one add-on card is allowed). For each
display a VSIMM is required; two types are available, 4Mb or 8Mb. The 8Mb
VSIMM allows a resolution of 1280x1024 at a depth of 24 bits; the 4Mb VSIMM
allows up to 1280x1024 at 8 bits or 1152x900 at 24 bits. (For the reason why
see below.) System memory can be reserved for use by the SX to improve
performance using the command sxconfig.

Again, I can't say from first-hand experience if it works with Solaris 9 or
any
other arbitrary OS, but the presence of the sxconfig(1M) command in Solaris
9
suggests that it would be supported as such.