[rescue] cgsix question

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Dec 1 13:08:39 CST 2002

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> There are OpenGL drivers available separately.  I've seen references to
> them in print, and heard people mention them, but never actually seen
> them.

TGS made them, same folks who productized OpenInventor for non-IRIX.

> The ZX has a number of interesting features.  First, it's overlay plane
> allows both 24bit and 8bit graphics simultaneously, so you can run the
> GIMP in 24bit, but Mozilla in only 8 bit, and doom in 8 bit, and yet
> have no color flashing from conflicting palletes.  Well, in theory you
> can do that.  I'm not sure how you force a program to not auto-detect
> that the Xserver is 24bit capable so that it runs in 8bit mode.

Almost every older 24bpp Sun framebuffer does this.  It just makes both a
24bpp and an 8bpp visual available, an application will get whichever it
requests.  The default visual is normally the 8bpp one, so if an app just
requests the default it will get the faster 8bpp one.

Most older software deals with this.  Some newer (usually PC-centric) X
software does no specific requesting for a 24bpp visual and consequently
gets grumpy and/or confused when it finds both 8bpp and 24bpp available.
Setting the default visual to 24bpp is one "solution".

-James