[rescue] Sun 3/280? and Sun rack for $99 (eBay)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Dec 1 12:27:45 CST 2002

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 10:55 AM, Mike Johnson wrote:
> Strolling through eBay, I came across this interesting item:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2076265797
>
> Looks to be a Sun 3/280 with a DC power supply.  Shipping would be a
> bitch, and it's all 'as-is', but the tape drive is pretty cool.

   Looks like a 4/280, assuming it hasn't had its CPU board switched
(3/200 and 4/200 CPUs use the same memory).  I don't see any evidence
of a DC power supply, and I'm pretty sure that chassis was never made
with one.  Further, the model number of the power controller (Paluzzi
874C, coincidentally "874" is the model number of a DEC power
controller of similar capabilities) is that of an AC-powered unit.

        -Dave