[rescue] No Flame Bait..

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Tue Aug 13 23:09:39 CDT 2002

> If you want the replacement on the spot then you pay for the warranty
> that'll give such service to you.  Some things come with such wonderful
> warranty terms built into their purchase price, some don't.  I don't
> know how the marketing wags figure out when to include such support and
> when to leave it out -- but I do know that I only want such support when
> the product will be "one-of-a-kind" in my domain.  I.e. if I'm buying
> one special Apple machine for a critical function then I might want a
> 5-days a week 4-hour replacement support contract, and if that comes as
> part of the purchase price then so be it.  However if I've got a dozen
> or a hundred, or a thousand such machines in some location then I may
> not need or want to pay for such "exorbitant" support and I'll either
> negotiate a cheaper price based on an RMA warranty, or I'll find someone
> else who will.  No one policy will suit everyone, and Apple's marketing
> dudes will figure out which they think the majority of their buyers will
> go for.

It is sad to see how we have gone from: the comsumer is always right, to
the megacorporation that just took your money is not only right... but
they also earned the right to own your first born just for allowing you
the privilege to own their piece of turd.

When I buy a machine I expect it to work... if the machine fails within a
few hours of usage then there was something clearly wrong with it. Then as
I said (and please do read arguments before answering) it is apples (or
whichever's) problem, not mine. When I purchased the machine from them, a
contract was established... I gave them my capital, they provided me with
a working piece of machinery. If that piece of machinery was faulty, then
apple's people should be getting their asses off the chairs as soon as
possible, and providing me with a replacement ASAP (asap meaning within 10
minutes of showing in their store with the faulty machine).

I guess that it would be more interesting if the sides of the coin were
flipped, and when I payed with a check for my brand new e-Mac... it would
be natural for apple to think that my check will clear. What would apple
think if I made them cut the price by 10% if they actually wanted to have
a warantee that the check will clear?

> These things are basic simple consumer common sense.  It doesn't matter
> if it's a car or a computer or a television set.  It doesn't matter if
> it's an Apple or a Sun or an IBM.

Jeez... of course with a logic like that. No wonder....

Companies who dare to test the patience of their customers are bound to
disappear (well in an ideal capitalistic system at least).