[rescue] fuck you Theo

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue Apr 30 14:45:35 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:02:27AM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> I don't see what the big fuss is about. So they don't offer an ISO. Get over
> it. EVERYTHING you need to make your own is there and free for the taking.

sure, but duplicated effort is wasted effort.

> I would not wanna have to pay for the hosting of the FTP site to DL the
> OpenBSD ISO's if they did exist.

you mean the one where you can already download the bits seperately, or as one
big ISO chunk?  doesn't make much of a difference, now does it?

> So, with only a little effort, and it seems more effort was put into
> complaining, you too can have a working ISO.

effort isn't an option.  i had a billion things to do and being able to download
a single ISO would have made my evening go a LOT smoother.  of course it would
be nice if they hadn't broken OpenBSD's ability to boot from tape on vax since
i wouldn't need the damn CD at all.

> Personally I buy the CD sets. Nice to have them at the ready to do an
> install. And this helps the OBSD project. Just because you find yourself at

i'm not generally an OBSD user, i'm a NBSD user.  i have full CD sets of NetBSD
scattered all over the house.  i don't mind buying the media.  in fact, i like
buying the media to help support the project if the project is good and offers
me something i need.  i do have a problem with someone spending the time and
effort to do something and then not share it.  a large portion of the people
who will buy those CDs will buy them is there is a downloadable ISO or not,
since buying the CDs is about more than just getting some CDs.

> odds with personalities of the project's leader does not deminish the
> quality/usefulness/whatever of the product. I am tired of the petty personal
> grudges that seem to go along with the mention of OpenBSD.

Theo is an ass.  there is no doubt about that in anyone's mind (even Theo's)
and that has absolutely nothing to do with this instance.  he could be the
nicest guy in the world, but the whole attitude towards the ISOs is very much
disturbing.  you wonder why people have a petty personal grudges?  this is one
example.  he's gotta stop being such a pain about things.  if he wants it to
be used, he needs to make it easy, not painful.

if there had been downloadable ISOs for me to have used last night, i would
have bought a set of CDs even though i wouldn't need them anymore.  now they
get nothing out of me.

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --