[rescue] sm?1 vs sm?1-2

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Apr 30 09:30:49 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> What is the difference between units like the sm51 and the sm51-2, or
> the sm61 and sm61-2?

The -2 modules have 2MB of E-cache vs 1MB for the normal cached
SuperSparcs.  They are designed for the XDBus SC2000.

> http://mbus.sunhelp.org/misc/sunparts.htm seems to indicate that the -2s
> can't be used in ss10s, 20s, or 4/600s.  Guess it is a good thing that I
> got outbid on one then.

I can't speak about all revs, but a number of them can.  At a minimum, the
SM81-2's and the 501-2757 SM61-2 will work in MBus based boxes.  The
second megabyte of cache will be ignored.  Dual SM81's in a SS20 run
_hot_.

> Still want a dual processor module though.  Appears like I'll end up with
> an SM61 instead.

No slouch, but go for an SM71 instead if you can.  The speed increase is
significantly greater than the increase from SM51->SM61.

-James