[rescue] Wow

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Apr 29 22:44:48 CDT 2002

> > Why don't you just BID for God's sake.
>
> It gives other folks the opportunity to outbid you if you give them
> enough time.  Some folks, who might not otherwise spend that much, might
> feel obligated to "win" given a reason to try.

*Sigh* it's not a game, it's a transaction.  If they're willing to pay more
for it than I am, they get it.  It's that simple.
My disappointment lies in watching the final bid price on an item jump up by
$25 or $50 as people rush to try to outbid me and just end up jacking the
price up.

> It's an old tactic at auction of all kinds.  I frequent auction houses
> of all kinds - cars, scrap, estate, antique.  The game is exactly the
> same - more like poker than anyting else.  It's full of bluffing and
> fakery.  There actually *is* a lot of drama to it, as well as
> excitement.  It's game...

Again, it's not a game.  and the tactics are nothing alike...  you bid, if
someone outbids you, you have the opportunity to bid again.  Where's the
bluff in that? is it in the way you wave your paddle?  is it because you
chose to blow a kiss to the auctioneer rather than simply touch the corner of
your hat?  The only drama is if the participants choose to interpret it that
way for themselves.  If e-bay were like a _real_ auction, the auction would
be extended by three minutes every time someone places a bid.

George