[rescue] HP L-Class console (possibly OT)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 29 22:25:27 CDT 2002

Amazing--I go out to mow the lawn (finally a non-
rainy day in MD when I don't have other commitments)
and an eBay party breaks out on rescue at .  Ah well,
wish I'd been around.

As a possibly OT question (since it's late-model HW),
but one that's stumping me right now (and this list
is the only place I know where someone might just pop
up and know the answer):

Someone I know has an HP L-class (~2001 model)
server but wants a graphical console on it.  This
box was designed without video at all (serial console
and network only)--and although they then went and
bought an add-on video/keyboard/mouse card set
through HP, the system doesn't (apparently) want to
recognize the new gear.  When queried, HP now claims
that the video/keyboard/mouse add-on is only for use
with specific (CAD ?) software and that it won't support
a graphical console for general-purpose work.

Is there *any* friggin' way to get a graphical console
on an L-class?  _I_ know that any important/useful thing
can be done from a serial console--that's not the point
in this case for some unique and bizarre reasons.  Let me
know off-list of any solutions/comments unless you think
it's of general interest.

Thanks--
  --Rip