[rescue] WTD: Sun Ultra 1 (or2)

Ken Caruso ken at ipl31.net
Mon Apr 29 17:14:12 CDT 2002

OpenBSD on Sparc64 is still very much dev, I have a disk in my Ultra5 that I
keep OpenBSD -current on and I would not recomend (yet) setting up a machine
to give to a non Sun/Unix person (especially if he your Boss:), performance
is still pretty slow, I think there is alot of work that needs to be done in
regards to swap. If you do decide to go with it anyways, make sure you
install the latest snapshot of the -current source tree, and subscribe or
regularly check the archives for the OpenBSD-sparc  mailing list.

I am not a Linux fan, but my primary OS on the Ultra5 is Linux 2.4.18 and I
have been pretty happy with it as a workstation. I know NetBSD has Sparc64
port however I have not used it. FreeBSD has an ISO you can download for
Sparc64 however they seem a little behind OpenBSD.

I am eagerly awaiting the OpenBSD sparc64 port to have more than 8bit color
support in X so I can make it the primary OS on my Ultra 5 (home
workstation).

Ken