[rescue] Vaxen?

Steven Hill sjh at matrix.net
Mon Apr 29 14:33:36 CDT 2002

> Any recommendations for "learning how CPUs work"-type-kits?  I've
> been looking at PIC stuff, BASIC Stamp stuff, etc, etc, and I
> wonder what you guys would recommend for an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER.
>
> (I can admin it, but I cant use a soldering iron worth jack..)

I can give you a good solderiung exercise if you want... Only risk is
burnt fingers.

Take a piece of wood, rougly square, hammer a nail at each corner.

solder lengths of wire to each nail, to form a square.
Bisect each side of the square, solder more wire, repeat as necessary.

This will build your ability to solder fast and accurately, since
you'll get to a point where you can melt neighbouring joints very
quickly if you're not soldering properly.

.-------.
|       |
---------
|   |   |
|---|---|
|   |   |
.-------.

etc.

not square and very rough, but you get the idea...

As far as how CPUs work, I learned on a 6502. I dunno if you can get a
wee project kit for one of those any more, but they were used in
British schools when I was there...

S.

--
Steven Hill