[rescue] Vaxen?

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Mon Apr 29 11:14:15 CDT 2002

>is an AlphaServer 800, would cost me like $450.00.  Solid-state disks
>are [obviously] for relatively important, performance-sensitive
>applications...and anyone doing that sort of stuff on a PeeCee (for
>which memory really IS cheap) needs to have their head examined to
>start with.

That's me!  I brought it up because I was laughing with a friend--I was
spouting off that a platform is doomed when you can easily afford to max
out the ram.  Once you hit 2/4 GB on most PCs, that's it, even if you could
afford more.  Hence the thought on a cheap, simple, IDE box with a bunch of
sdram inside.

I don't really want an SSD--several people have mentioned that they're
available on the market already.  I'm actually more interested in hanging
I/O on the SCSI bus now...

Besides, I've got an RTEMS project that I need to finish first, and I may
be getting paid for it!

newell