[rescue] Ultra1 oddity

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sun Apr 28 21:58:54 CDT 2002

On Sunday 28 April 2002 10:07 pm, you wrote:

> This really does make the most sense.  Solaris can't tell the difference
> between you moving an interface card and removing/installing one, so it
> assumes that any card in a different slot should get a different instance
> number.  This has saved my bacon more than once.  Making instances truly
> dynamic and detected per reboot is IMHO far more dangerous.

... as has been done to me on some RS/6000 restores.  In these cases, drives
were added to AIX device locations that were numerically _before_ the device
locations where hdisk0 was.  Then when restoring from the mksysb, old_hdisk0
!= new_hdisk0.   *sigh*

Maybe there's a slick way around this (yeah, I know you can choose disks when
starting the mksysb, but it gets difficult for multi-disk rootvg's)...

-E.