[rescue] Ultra1 oddity

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 28 18:44:47 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 07:26:59PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> ok, so my firewall/nat box has four interfaces on it.  the onboard le, the SBus
> FDDI card, the SBus le card and the SBus hme card.  hme is in the upper of the
> two slots on the right, the le is in the lower.  the le wasn't being used, so
> i pulled it out to use it elsewhere, and moved the hme card to the bottom slot
> since i had to remove it to get the le card anyway.
> boot.  solaris bitches about hme0 no such device and whatnot.  so i drop to
> the rom and look at the device tree.  there is hme.  so why isn't it working?
> so i boot again.  still no love.  then in frustration i call dave and we hash
> it out on the phone for awhile.  he recommends verbose boot.  boot -v and i see
> the devices probed as the machine comes up.  hme1 probes just fine.  hey, wait
> a minute.  hme_1_?!?!  what happened to hme0.  plumb hme1, and look at that.
> there it is.  move hostname.hme0 to hostname.hme1 and reboot.  comes up just
> fine.  hme1 it is.
> so what happened to hme0?  there is only one hme in the machine.  why does
> solais think that this should be hme1?  i'm *VERY* confused.  luckily i got
> the machine running since it's rather important to the operation of my network
> but now i'm just very curious as to what could have happened.

Did you touch /reconfigure?  I've had cards rename themselves before when
you moved them among slots, without doing a reconfigure.  It thinks the
hme0 is still there, so the "new" card is hme1.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford          "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads
mrbill at mrbill.net       to using Windows for mission-critical applications."