[rescue] Vaxen?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 27 14:33:42 CDT 2002

On April 27, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> My DBA/Perl hacker has told me that the nuclear factory he worked at
> (ABB I think) used a umber of PDP-11s in production, and that was only a
> few years ago.

  They're probably still there.  The certification process for stuff
in that environment is very expensive and time-consuming, and there's
really nothing to be gained from using anything newer.

  For that matter, the latter also applies to the computers used in
many, if not nearly all, real-world applications that don't involve
desktop computing or the Internet.  We don't go around badmouthing and
laughing at our 2001 Chevy, call it "obsolete", and want to send it to
the dump the moment the 2002 models come out, do we?

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                                 "Mmmm.  Big."
St. Petersburg, FL                                -Den