[rescue] core storage as secondary mass storage

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sat Apr 27 13:23:17 CDT 2002

[ On Saturday, April 27, 2002 at 11:57:07 (EDT), dave at cca.org wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Vaxen?
>
> newell at cei.net writes:
>
> >Core is still cool, but I'd be surprised if it still offers any useful
> >advantage (other than non-volatility) over modern semiconductor memory
> >devices.  'Course I had an idea years ago to build the little rings and
> >wiring on a chip--why thread wires when you can do lithography, and
> >integrate the drivers and sense amps onto the same substrate!
>
> I still want a cabinet of core with a SCSI interface.

I have a (no longer functional, unfortunately) BA-11 full of core for an
11/20 -- I guess you could say it has a Unibus interface....  :-)

I also have another third-party chassis (about the size of an RL-02 or
RK-05) full of static RAM with a Unibus interface.....  :-)

Seriously there's a researcher somewhere in the depths of IBM who's
worked out a way to print core at semi-conductor sizes and IIRC in three
dimensions.  His densities even in the lab are, IIRC, up beyond current
moving-platter disks.  I imagine once they get ready to mass-market
those things you'll find some with SCSI interfaces, though I'll bet
firewire will be the most common (assuming they make it to market while
firewire is still in vogue :-).  I can try to dig up some references if
anyone's interested.... (and can't find them on their own).

--
								Greg A. Woods