[rescue] O2 graphics compared to entry-level Octane graphics?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 25 14:04:48 CDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Dunehew, Seth wrote:

> It's still really tempting.  I'd love an Octane, but I don't want to spend
> $175 for the Irix media.

Ha Ha!  You tell funny story!

I called SGI about a media kit for my Octane not too long ago.  Now, the
Octane is only capable or running 6.4 or 6.5.  It's easy to tell by the
serial number (and the motherboard revision) that this system was built
long after 6.5 started shipping as a preinstalled option.

SGI refused to sell me a media kit unless I wanted to buy another license,
never mind that 6.5 is already licensed to this system.  $600.

Thank goodness the local channel partner isn't as anal as corporate.  I
walked out of there with 6.5.8 for -free-, just for buying a monitor cable
to connect my system to the 6091-023 I had then.  That office is closed
now. :(

--Jonathan