[rescue] O2 graphics compared to entry-level Octane graphics?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 25 13:07:05 CDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > Octane -> Can be upgraded to dual R10K relatively cheap, as long as one
> > does not need textures nor video... This IS the machine, it has great
> > bandwidth. Although fully loaded can get a bit hot, plus it is a bit
> > noisy.
>
> very noisy.  and quite hot.

I've started to not mind the noise of the Octane now that I have a 3Com[1]
SuperStack II/3000 switch on my desk.  -That- thing has some loud fans.
I can no-longer hear the Octane (not even the dual 15krpm drives during a
compile), nor the celing fan, nor the window-unit A/C in here anymore.

This is the sort of stuff that makes me wish that: 1) This house didn't
have such nice wooden floors, and 2) I had a decent enclosure to put all
this stuff in.

But, yeah, the Octane gets hot.  I have it in my bedroom now, and used it
for a heater in the winter.  I just left it on all night, and my bedroom
was 15 degrees F warmer than the rest of the house.

--Jonathan
[1] Ugh, but it was free.  Can't beat free, even if it's 3Com.  At least
    it has a fibre uplink port.