[rescue] Mmmmm SGI

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Apr 25 10:22:32 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:58:56PM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> > The Wildcat is better at 2D (I wish it were better still, but that is
> > something else).  In particular, it accelerates OpenGL imaging, including
> > hardware convolutions (usefull for many of the operations that programs
> > like photoshop do, from filters to the magic wand).  But, for $2k, you have
> > to be doing something more than photoshop to make it worthwhile.
>
> Not that photoshop uses OpenGL for anything.... so big deal.

Maybe Photoshop would if it could count on OpenGL imaging being there, which
I believe it isn't on a lot of OpenGL implementations for Windows, and I
don't know if it currently exists on MacOSX.

> Yeah.. and then you have to redesign the whole motherboard only to fit
> those wildcats, they need AGPpro! Which is not cost effective for the
> amount of people that might be interested in seeing a wildcat under OSX

Wildcats come in more than just AGPpro (but not to common users).  The
wildcats used in Suns and the Wildats used in Alpha neither use AGP.  Besides,
isn't AGPpro just add higher voltage?  Easy enough to run a seperate line
from the power supply to the card rather redo the mobo.

> Apple has bought some Videocard maker recently. Supposedly they are
> developing their own high end gfx board....

> http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-04/2002c1-0412-applegraph1.phtml

Interesting.  That talks about a dual chip nvidia based card.  Faster yes,
but doesn't show any signs of being higher quality.

--
Joshua D. Boyd