[rescue] Mmmmm SGI

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Apr 24 21:35:35 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 10:14:29PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:
>
> >Now, if only I had that sort of cash to spare.  What we need is for Apple
> >to make a solid stab at the low end Octane market.  Get a Wildcat 6110 in
> >a dual ghz G4, and it would do quite well against the low end, and perhaps
> >mid range octane machines (although there would still be short comings, like
> >only 8bit color, etc).  If Apple would only stop fooling themselves with
> >that GeForce stuff.
>
> Isn't their memory bandwidth still lagging?

Well, I'm not saying it would be equal in all ways.  Just that if they take
the top of the line dual G4 (priced at just under $4k, not including a
conversion to being all scsi) and tack a Wildcat 6110 ($2k), then for $6k,
they would have something that would give Octanes and Octane2s a serious
run for their money.  Even though the Octanes are supoerior in most ways,
the G4s are still seriously fast machines, and the Wildcat is a seriously
fast video card.  If the extra memory bandwidth makes a difference to what
you are doing, then go ahead and spend the extra $40k, or do like we do
and buy a used machine.

It just would be cool to see Apple do something more with their potential.

--
Joshua D. Boyd