[rescue] Is the TGX+ worth anything these days?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 24 15:52:52 CDT 2002

Hrm.  Answers to questions you didn't ask, in case
someone ever actually reads the archives:

Both 501-2955 and 501-2253 are the 4MB TX4/TGX+, which
(regardless of what sunstuff.org says) are only 8-bit
cards.  From my testing, they don't seem to re-draw
screens noticeably faster than TX1/TGX cards--again,
even though several places say it's "more accelerated".

> The TGX+ aka TGX4 is capable of 1600 x 1200 right?

>From what I remember/can find online, all of the 501-2955
can do the hi-res mode, but it's 1600x1280 which fewer
monitors support.  Only the later rev of 501-2253
(501-2253-05 specifically) can do hi-res.  See

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Graphics/GRAPH_TurboGXplus.html

> Are these worth anything these days?

About $10-15 maybe, to someone who needs an SBus
framebuffer.  TX1 cards routinely go in that range
on eBay, but hardly anyone knows the difference
and would look for a TX4...you could always go
Bodoman-ish in the auction listing...

  --Rip (who's not going to be sending in any sloppy
	shell/C code to get slammed for any time soon...)