[rescue] Video encoding

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Apr 24 14:56:53 CDT 2002

> Is a SGI O2 the way to go, or should I save up a little more and go with an
> Octane?  I'd really like something that I can get on the cheap.

If you're looking to an SGI system, an O2 is the way to go.  Be sure
that you get it with the A/V option, not just the audio I/O.  These days
a nice O2, ready to run, will only set you back $500 - $600 from a
reputable (pun intended - see www.reputable.com) retailer.  The A/V
option can set you back another ~$250 from said retailer.

An Octane is nice, but it typically lacks the A/V option - Personal
Video Option (PVO) is the official name.  If you find one at an
affordable price with the PVO, you scored big time!  Otherwise, it can
cost a couple grand just for the PVO, on top of the price for the
Octane.

Personally, I think an O2 would be the choice for video work, while an
Octane would be great for CAD/CAE.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com