[rescue] next dimension cube

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Wed Apr 24 03:56:27 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:40:00PM -0400, bill pointon wrote:
> i have just obtained a next dimension cube and dont know much at all
> about it anybody know offhand what monitors are compatible with either
> the 9 pin video out or the 13w3 connector ?
> or there also appears to be a 19 pin monitor connector

I'm not sure what 9-pin is. The black&white monitor plug is bigger. It
also carries audio, monitor power (!) and keyboard/mouse to the monitor
to which the actual stuff is connected. Somehow I though all the cubes
were bw but maybe you have that fabled extra video board in it.
In which case the 13W3 will take a NeXT color monitor. The pinouts can
be googled out, I don't remember what's special about this one. The sync
signals are usually the tricky bit.

I also think you need some kludge to get a bw to boot headless. There's
a sense pin.

> and what kbd/mice can i use with this very pretty black box

Either NeXT proprietary ones or Apple ADB depending on version.

The cube is not very flexible IIRC :-(

--
Darwin's Law of Carcinogens: Cancer cures smoking.