[rescue] Movin' on up (long)

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Apr 22 16:13:29 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>    1) Creator 3D is "low-end" but has hardware texturing.

Creator is low end (no zbuf)
Creator3D is mid (zbuf) and supports high monitor resolutions.  Cruddy
texturing.

>    2) Elite 3D has all sorts of other neat features (and a larger frame
>       buffer), but no texturing.

Elite3D beats Creator3D for T&L, but is comparable in texturing
performance and limited to 1280x1024.  m6 doubles geometry perf over m3
but texturing is still cruddy.

>    3) Expert 3D has everything, but is PCI64 and doesn't support XGL.

Better texturing than Creator/Elite.  Worse (from slightly to
significantly) in raw bandwidth and geometry performance than Elite3D.

Note that the "full" Expert3D has much better texturing perf (and more
mem) than the Expert3DLite.

I have an Elite3D/Creator3D/PGX32 combo in my U30.  I'd love an Expert3D
to replace the PGX32, OpenGL Xinerama might actually make sense then.

-James