[rescue] Movin' on up (long)

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Apr 22 15:24:54 CDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Well, that's pretty-much useless as a workstation.

Well, it was designed for the embedded market originally.

> I'm looking at the U60 and U80 right now.  They look like they might be
> closer to what I'm actually needing, since the might not require as much
> power and cooling as the E450.  Are there any real differences between the
> U80 and the E450, except for two PSUs, one SCSI channel, a few PCI slots,
> and fewer SCSI bays?

The 450 really doesn't require that much power and cooling unless you
stuff it to the gills with disks and PCI cards.  Mine is as quiet as the
U30 next to it (once the OBP turns down the fans) and probably only draws
a bit more power.

There are other minor differences (different UPA slave slot form factors)
but nothing significant.  The E450 does look much cooler, though.  :)

-James [and it is damn annoying to take up and down stairs]