[rescue] Suggestions for a *small form-factor* PC?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 20 20:53:40 CDT 2002

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> Yeah! I am currently using a sparcclassic running NetBSD as my
> router/firewall. It runs like a charm with just 16MB of RAM. Plus NetBSD
> comes with IPfilter and sshd by default. It takes about 1/2 hr to have a
> fully configured router from scratch!

That's currently what I'm using, only with 24MB or memory.  I haven't
gotten the hang of making everything behave when my IP address changes,
but it's working great for NAT.  Hopefully tonight I'll get it to do
printing via CUPS, as well.

It took me quite a bit longer than 30 minutes to get everything happy,
though.  However, I'm not nearly as familiar with NetBSD as I am with
OpenBSD[1], Linux, or Solaris.

I've gotta say, though, multi-architecture bootable CD-ROMs kick -so- much
ass.

--Jonathan
[1] Yeah, they're similar, but /etc/hostname.foo vs. /etc/ifconfig.foo
    tripped me up for a while, and I think OpenBSD has better man pages.