[rescue] Suggestions for a *small form-factor* PC?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sat Apr 20 19:45:18 CDT 2002

> I'm looking for something as small as possible, at least a 486,
> with 32meg RAM, IDE interface (for cdrom and HD), and at least two
> slots for PCI network cards.. Wanna play with IPFilter and various
> stuff to explore cheaper alternatives to the NetGear/Linksys "gateway
> router" boxes.  I've got a RT314 and love it, but wonder about "rolling
> my own".

I have a couple of "Book PC"-format PCs.  One is based on the
Intel i810 chipset and has one PCI slot and the other is based
on the i815 chipset and has two PCI slots.  The slots don't
take very long cards, but most Ethernet cards fit.  Both of
them have, aside from the usual built-ins with an i810/i815
chipset system, built-in Ethernet.

I use one of them as my Internet gateway.  I bought the i810
system at Fry's a couple of years ago and the i815 one off
eBay.  Add memory, hard drive, and memory and you are ready
to go.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net