[rescue] NSOT: emacs for "vi" users....

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Fri Apr 19 21:43:56 CDT 2002

It's rumored that around Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 10:27:46PM -0400
"Greg A. Woods" <woods at weird.com> wrote:
> [ On Friday, April 19, 2002 at 16:50:03 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [rescue] OT: broken de-MIME-ers should be shot!  ;-)
> >
> > Someone needs to write "emacs tutorial for vi users".  I've got an older
> > version of the ORA Emacs book, and my mind just cant grasp learning
> > another editor..
>
> What's wrong with C-h t  (i.e. the "built-in on-line tutorial")?
>
> It should be a good introduction for beginners and "vi" users alike!  ;-)

don't know if this was mentioned yet..haven't been following the thread,
but you can put emacs in 'viper' mode and you get all the monolithic
power of emacs with the bindings of vi.

xface is cool tho..i patches slrn to do it but I wish I could in
mutt/vim.  i tried emacs for a few months and found myself to be 10x
more efficient in vi.  I use vi bindings in my shell as well.  I just
can't move around as well with emacs.

emacs was good for me (and galeon) in the sense that i have about 50
xterms and browser instances open at any one time.  now that i can do it
tabbed in galeon and essentially the same in emacs it helped cutdown on
realestate.   i never put emacs in viper mode because i wanted to learn
it as an editor, so i'm not sure how usable it is.  one of my buddies
has been using it in viper mode for at least 3 years now and loves it.

sidenote, the most recent verion of galeon support vi-like movement keys
of h/j/k/l.  It may be a function of the more recent mozilla, i dunno.
I tried to get netscape to do that for about 2 hours one day and
couldn't.  I'm a happy boy now.  galeon is the all-time best browser
ever.

just some info to consider
^D