[rescue] Re: Re: E3k RAM (was Re: REDUCED: FS: Tatung Ultra 2 2170)

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Apr 19 10:30:38 CDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> on 4/19/02 3:37 AM, Robert Novak at rnovak at indyramp.com wrote:
>
> >> AXi takes different memory than the u5/10
> >
> > It does? How so? Is it just the 50ns/60ns difference or is there something
> > else?
>
> The memory spec for the AXi calls for 10/11 column memory

I don't think Sun sells anything else for U5/U10/AXi. The U5/U10 boards
may not care which they use, but that doesn't mean the memory is
different. You may get bitten if you use 10 when you need 11, or vice
versa--been there done that--but the normal Sun (or Dataram or Kingston or
Southland) U5/U10 memory does work in AXi if you get the right column
addressing mode. And I believe Sun's 128 and 256 are 11-bit, but Dataram
was 10-bit.

> Memory must be ordered and installed in like pairs. DIMMs should all be 10-
> or 11-bit Column Address. 10-bit Col Add supported in all slots; 11-bit Col
> Add in slot pairs 0 and 2 only

Yep, already knew that. I think most of the smaller (32/64) sticks are
10-bit, and 128/256 are 11-bit, although I think the 128s from Southland
and Dataram are one each.

As an aside, I did run into one Ultra 10 at my work that wouldn't take
Dataram 256meg sticks. It was happy with Southland 256meg sticks, and
another U10 nearby was happy with the Dataram. Dunno if we found a quirky
board or some quirky ram, but I wasn't too worried.

--Rob