[rescue] help, please..

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Thu Apr 18 23:51:08 CDT 2002

>> Are you talking about giving the user a choice during the execution of
>> the batch file or getting the output of that data?
>>

KH> Not quite - like using the command 'read' from a shell script.  As in:
KH> echo "what is your oracle server's FQDN"
KH> read oraclehost

KH> then later in the script:
KH> sed s/placeholder1/$oraclehost/ template > step1

Hmmm... One character input is supported using the choice command:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q77457

But you wanted multi-character input so:
http://users.cybercity.dk/~bse26236/batutil/GBTN1.HTM#08-01

It's a little arcane.   Hell, it's downright nasty for a batch file!
But it would get the job done without any extra programs.

KH> Of course there are many other questions, and it's a breeze in any
KH> *real* shell.

Yup.

KH> I found a distributable zsh binary that allows all sorts unixy commmands
KH> under Win32, and I solved all my problems.

Seen that sort of thing before but most I've seen replace command.com
with themselves.

KH> Amazing, I need to use a Unix shell to install software on Windows.

Not so amazing - it's Windows.  It sucks.  Next topic... ;-)

KH> Eitehr that or learn how to
KH> create pointy-clicky install programs - which I just am not going to do
KH> now (dev cycle too long)...

Done some of that.  Trying to get the bills paid so I can go back to
school and learn some of it in class rather than at home.  (Less
interruptions.)

KH> Fucking Windows...

Only if there's Pr0n on the screen - even then you might catch
something... *grin*

Mike Hebel                        mailto:nimitz at owc.net