[rescue] SBUS classic cards

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Apr 18 14:10:57 CDT 2002

On 18 Apr 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 11:13, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Are there any single slot SBUS cards that wouldn't work in a Sparc classic
> > for some reason?  Most people list there cards as being for SS5, SS10, SS20
> > SS600, SS1000, SS2000, etc, but leave out SS1, SS2, IPX, Classic, LX, etc.
>
> None that I know of.  The SS1/1+ might have troubles, as I don't think
> they can handle SBUS at 25MHz.  But cards might step down to that speed
> automagically.

The SS1+ does use a 25MHz Sbus (sun4c boxes clock everything through the
Sbus at an integer fraction of clock speed).  SS1 and SS2 are 20MHz.
Classic/LX are 25MHz.  But that's not the issue.

Most issues with older machines and newer Sbus cards deal either with lack
of 4c driver support or lack of support with old OBP revs.  I can't think
of anything offhand that will work in a SS5 but won't work in a
Classic/LX, but I can think of plenty that breaks in sun4c (hme cards
being the most obvious).

-James