[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Apr 18 12:45:45 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:24:30AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On April 18, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Well, for one thing, a fire can always be avoided by putting on more clothing.
> > But, you can't only take so much clothing off.  So, A/C makes you more
> > dependent.  It's not like I'm totally against it.
>
>   Eh, who cares about dependence...life is short, man.  Might as well
> enjoy it...especially with innocuous things like keeping your living
> space at a temperature that's comfortable for you.
>
> > I think it is great for machine rooms.
>
>   It's also not "optional" for machine rooms. ;)

I worked for one company that view it as optional.  A bunch of ethernet
switchs, a phone switch, a few pentiums, a 486, a ppro, and an alpha micro
make for a very hot room (perhaps over 100deg).  I think the Alpha Micro was
the main culprit based on the size, age, and power requirements of it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd