[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Apr 18 10:05:33 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> If you think that was hellish, you ain't seen nothing yet.  People's
> in-ability to cope around here without A/C is amazing.  What would happen
> to y'all if you actually got sent to the tropics?

When I lived in L.A., whenever the temperature dipped below the 50s you
would think we were facing another ice age.  People were bundled up, had
parkas on, and were constantly complaining about the terrible winter.

Here in PA, people start overheating at about 80F.  The high of 87F here
yesterday was met with heatstroke warnings on the radio.  The average
resident does seem to be carrying a few more pounds (leftovers from the
winter?) so that may be a factor.

Me, I'm a central-California valley native.  110F doesn't faze me after
some of the ugly summers we had in the early 80's (without A/C!).  Snow is
an oddity, but I spent enough time in the Sierras to understand it and be
able to drive in it.

I do like the thunderstorms.

Historical weather data: www.wunderground.com.  Here's mine:

http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KUNV