[rescue] OT: broken de-MIME-ers should be shot! ;-)

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Thu Apr 18 05:45:37 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 05:12:25PM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > > I wholeheartedly DISagree with that statement.  I like de-MIME, and have
> > > even considered running it on my personal mail server.
> > De-MIME-ing is good when it removes what you don't like.
> > It's very bad when it removes what you need to make a message
> > intelligible.
> > It's even worse when it converts what you have into something incorrect,
> > as in changing my degree symbols into zeros.  Grrrr!!!!  BUG!!!!
>
> I think the problem here is most of us are using ASCII mail readers.  Greg
> is using ISO-8859-1 (is that right?) which has a degree symbol.  Since DeMIME
> is bringing it to plain old ASCII text, that degree symbol needs to be
> translated into something.

ASCII mailreaders?

Isn't this mostly UNIX and therefore latin1? What kind of a system can't
handle 8-bit characters today? (And those are probably used to seeing
8-bit elsewhere.)