[rescue] bsd's

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 17 12:08:34 CDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Linc Fessenden wrote:

> > We have a server that gets lots of hardware changes  to use various
> > printers, About once a month it goes down, and it has to fsck some 60
> > gigs *EVERY FUCKING TIME* because ext2fs sucks and that box needs a
> > 2.2 kernel for oracle 8i.  Its just a pain in the ass and makes
> > things like that feel not quite ready for prime time.
> >
> > daniel
>
> Just out of curiosity Daniel, what distro are you using?  I am running the
> latest Slackware and have *never* had that sort of trouble.

ext2fs has a flag in the superblock somewhere that records the number of
times the volume has been mounted read/write since the last fsck, and the
number of days since the last fsck.  By default, (I think) these cap at 20
and 30, respectively.  Once the cap it hit, an fsck is forced.

These values can be set in tune2fs.  It may be that Daniel's server has
some odd values set in tune2fs.  In his case it should be set to something
approximating a year, since that partition gets unmounted so infrequently.

--Jonathan