[rescue] bsd's

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 17 11:34:01 CDT 2002

Is it a production Oracle install?  We had a devel database on a little box I
built out of leftover stuff in the server room, loaded redhat of some flavor
and 8i and it stays up for months at a time without a hiccup.  I left there
about a year ago and they called to get some help locating the box, they
wanted to put it on a ups, it had just gone down for the first time since I
left due to a power interupption.  It's a k6-300Mhz, 192Mb, and a bunch of
SCSI drives none bigger than a 2 Gb.

It sounds like your server is doing too much.  We actually have 9i running on
a laptop with redhat 7.2 and no issues.

I think the install process is more difficult than it needs to be on NetBSD,
and I do like using FreeBSD on i386, but Linux will always have a place until
Oracle starts running on BSD, and SMP matures.

Seth Dunehew
Oracle DBA