[rescue] bsd's

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Wed Apr 17 10:14:12 CDT 2002

>As to hardware support, I've used Open recently on x86 and
>SPARC32 with no issues--but if I wanted more-or-less identical
>hardware support across multiple platforms, I would probably
>go for NetBSD.  If I wanted a BSD that had reliable/stable/
>well-tested support for SMP on x86, then I *might* try FreeBSD
>(based on friends' reports) but personally I use Debian with
>a 2.4 Linux kernel in such situations--and in cases where I
>need support for specific x86 hardware (like DAC960 RAID
>controllers, which didn't work reliably under Net or Open
>when I first got mine).  A combination of OpenBSD and Linux--
>It Works For Me.

I've taken to using freebsd in place of linux on x86 hardware because
it just works better for me (faster, more stable, doesn't need to
fsck after its been up for 30 days, list goes on).  Freebsd supports
almost everthing linux supports on x86, including your DAC960.  I
have found that the I/O performance of FreeBSD and the NFS
implementation of FreeBSD to be *VASTLY* superior to linux.

daniel