[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Apr 17 00:31:18 CDT 2002

[ On Tuesday, April 16, 2002 at 18:55:50 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)
>
>  Second, less hair is good.

you don't need to tell me about it!  :-)

I'm basically lazy, and hate paying for a haircut (and my Mom's a little
too far away to visit just for a free cut! ;-), so I grew it out for
several years.  Not really a stunning pony tail, but well below my
shoulders when it was let out to fly (and fly it does being quite fine).

Not too long before heading off to Pakistan a couple of years ago I
decided that long hair in a tropical country would be a bad thing, so I
got it all trimmed off, and boy was I ever glad I did.  Even though the
trip was in the middle of our northern hemisphere's winter, going to
1000F (@ 90% or more humidity) wasn't nearly so painful as I expected it
to be.

Today the humidex was 350C (~950F, i.e. 840F @ 53%, and luckily the
humidity burnt off just as the max temp arrived), and my hair is again
well below my ears and in dire need of a trimming, as the sweat on the
back of my neck kept reminding me all day....  :-)

This is all doubly painful for me as I grew up out on the Prairies where
the only time it ever gets hot is usually when it's really dry.  At 40%
humidity or less there's not much trouble evapourating sweat quickly....

--
								Greg A. Woods