[rescue] Cooling (Long Message, sorry)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Tue Apr 16 17:20:15 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 02:05:29PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Oddly appropriate to this thread, I just finished installing a window
> a/c unit in my office.  My house has central a/c, but it doesn't make
> it into the office very well (this room was added by the previous
> owner as an extension of the house, and the ductwork is very poorly
> designed) and, combined with the two skylights and the Florida sun
> beating down on the cheaply-constructed "look, I built this extension
> myself!" roof, it gets hot as hell in here during the day.  Today I
> got fed up with it, and I had a window unit in the shed from the old
> house, so I threw it in the window.  The temperature is coasting
> downward steadily; I am MUCH happier.

i really don't like A/C.  i'd rather be able to open some windows and get some
fans going.  enjoy the fresh air.  one of the reasons i live in the middle of
nowhere is so that i can enjoy the fresh air at will.  i really don't want to
put an A/C unit in my office (the datacenter of course will get one in every
window, heh) but after today, i might change my mind.  i woke up at 5pm, and
my house was HOT after having the windows in the livingroom and kitchen open
all day (it was PERFECT all weekend, so they never got shut) and it wasn't
even that hot today.

*sigh*

-brian
--
"Today, put your best foot forward. If you're not sure which of your feet is
 your best foot, cut one off. Then it doesn't matter."   - www.lowbrow.com -